The Easter Season
March 27-May 15, 2016
This year, Easter will be celebrated on Sunday, March 27. On Easter Sunday, Christ our light re-enters the world. The lighting of the paschal candle and the proclamation of “Alleluia” symbolize the light of Christ entering back into the world after the forty days of Lent. There are fifty days of Easter concluding on Pentecost Sunday. See:
NFCYM Adopts New Mission, Vision, Values Statements
At the 2016 Annual Membership Meeting in Chicago, The National Federation for Catholic Youth Ministry approved and adopted new mission, vision, and values statements. These statements are now published in full on this website.
May is National Physical Fitness and Sports Month
Resources and organizations of interest:
Amoris Laetitia and the International Day of Families
Pope Francis has released his post-synodal apostolic exhortation, Amoris Laetitia. And in May, a day celebrates the importance of families and the work started during the International Year of Families (1994). Many people celebrate the International Day of Families by hosting workshops, seminars, lectures, and more!
Resources on the Family:
- Amoris Laetitia (The Joy of Love)—Pope Francis’ apostolic exhortation on the family published April 8, 2016.
- Familias Consortio (On the Role of the Christian Family in the Modern World) – Saint John Paul II apostolic exhortation on the family published in 1981.
- International Day of Families Overview
- Strong Catholic Families – resources for leaders and parents
World Fair Trade Day
Fair Trade organizations have a commitment to ensuring that international trading is fair and equal for all parties involved. The World Fair Trade Organization is an agent for change that is seeking to eradicate poverty by finding a sustainable solution. The object of World Fair Trade Day is to raise awareness of the mission of the World Fair Trade Organization. Consider hosting an event on World Fair Trade Day like a “Fair Trade Only Meal,” in which all the food used to prepare food was in compliance with fair trade.
Fair Trade Resources and Information:
News from NFCYM and Beyond
Recent news and/or updates to the website include:
- Resources for National Youth Violence Prevention Week on the “Christian Response to Violence” page
- New Catechetical Session plan on the Spiritual Works of Mercy added to the “Year of Mercy” page
- Dr. Robert McCarty completed his nineteen-year tenure at NFCYM on March 4. Read Bob’s farewell note and see the federation and staff “thank yous.”
For more information, see the full News page.
Lay Ecclesial Ministry
The mission of the church cannot be completed without the faithful work of its lay ministers. Is Christ calling you to lead his church in this capacity? Check out the certification process on the Alliance for the Certification of Lay Ministers website (lemcertification.org) and these resources:
What's NFCYM's Most Popular Training In-Service?
Resources for Supporting Pope Francis' Encyclical, Laudato Si
A collection of resources can be found in our “Catechesis for Current Events.”
Also, be sure to check out NFCYM’s website, “Care for Creation, Care for the Poor” at climate.nfcym.org.
Links will open the conference website