“The Church of the twenty-first century will be, as it has always been, an Church of many cultures, languages, and traditions, yet simultaneously one, as God is one – Father, Son, and Holy Spirit – unity in diversity.” – Welcoming the Stranger Among Us: Unity in Diversity, USCCB. 2000
Goals for NFCYM’s multicultural ministry initiative:
To help the Federation become more diverse and be more inclusive of the needs and realities of the many cultural communities that our membership serves
To help our membership become more interculturally competent as to better serve the needs of young people from different cultures and backgrounds
To help lift and empower new leaders in ministry from diverse cultural communities and backgrounds
How we serve cultural communities right now:
- Presence of cultural community representatives on the NFCYM Board
- Webinars en Español, focusing on ministry with Hispanic youth and young adults
- The National Dialogue, bringing together leaders from organizations all over the country that serve the needs of multicultural communities
- Strong Catholic Families Strong Catholic Youth and Fortaleciendo Familias en la Fe (Spanish version of SCF)
- Ministry Network for Multicultural Ministry
Watch the Multicultural Ministry in-service presentation at the 2019 Annual Membership Meeting for NFCYM Members HERE.
For more information on our cultural diversity and inclusion initiatives, contact Darius Villalobos, Director of Multicultural Ministry, 202-753-8920.
Darius grew up in Chicago, a culturally and racially diverse city. He has experienced both personally and professionally how a lack of cultural competency, humility, and diversity can negatively impact the vitality of communities. He has had the opportunity to learn from and with those who are essential to an informed diversity and inclusion strategy to overcome these real challenges. His experiences have built solid relationships and have afforded him the credibility needed to make progress. Darius looks forward to utilizing these experiences to develop new and innovative ways to support diversity, inclusion, and greater multiculturalism in NFCYM.