- Open Wide Our Hearts – Webinar series on the USCCB pastoral letter against racism, and other resource links
- Combating Racism – USCCB
- Parish Resources for Combating Racism – USCCB
- Understanding Racism – A free lesson on racism by Saint Mary’s Press
- Cultural Diversity in the Church – USCCB’s page on cultural diversity that includes resources and documents
- Brothers and Sisters to Us – A pastoral letter on racism by the USCCB
- The Racial Divide in the United States – A pastoral letter by Bishop Braxton
- Intercultural Competencies for Ministry – Training modules by the USCCB for intercultural competency
- A Guide to the Discussion You Are Scared to Have Right Now – Great Place to Work
- Resources on Bullying – a collection of resource links created by Saint Mary’s Press on bullying.
- KnowBullying App
– a mobile application that empowers parents, caregivers, and educators
with the tools they need to start the conversation with their children
about bullying by SAMSHA (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services
- Stopbullying.gov – Teaches kids and parents how to identify bullying and how to stand up to it safely.
- Commonsense Media– offering age-appropriate advice, school resources, and more from parents and experts.
- Prevent Bullying – a webpage by the CDC that offers a glance at preventing bullying including further resources to read and research.
- Teenagers and Cyberbullying – Infograhic on cyberbullying.
- Stop Cyber Bullying – the Beacon
- Technology Guidelines for Pastoral Work with Youth –
This NFCYM produced document provides guidance to pastoral ministers on
the use of various technologies, and as an aid to pastoral ministers
and diocesan, parish, and/or school personnel in determining appropriate
boundaries in their use of technology within their professional
relationships with others.
- Faith and Safety
– A resource guide brought to you by a collaboration between The United
States Conference of Catholic Bishops and The Greek Orthodox
Archdiocese of America
- NS Teens
– A program of the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children
that has interactive games and videos on a variety of Internet safety
- Common Sense Media
– A comprehensive and frequently updated site that is packed with
resources for improving the lives of kids and families by providing
information and education to help them thrive in a world of media and
- Family Online Safety Institute
– A resource to make the online world safer for kids and their families
through enlightened public policy, industry best practice and good
- Wired Safety – An online safety, education, and help group that provides helpful resources for children, parents, and caretakers.
- Child Net
– A network geared toward improving the lives of children and families
by coordinating and providing services that strengthen and support
families now and in the future
- PACER –
A center that enhances the quality of life and expands opportunities
for children, youth, and young adults with all disabilities and their
families so each person can reach his or her highest potential.
- iKeepSafe – Resources for parents, educators, kids and parishes on navigating mobile and social media technologies.
- Enough is Enough
– EIE is dedicated to continuing to raise public awareness about online
dangers, specifically the dangers of Internet pornography and sexual
- Helping you Talk to your Kids about – One-stop
site for advice from several child safety organizations on sexually
explicit and violent material, meeting strangers online, sharing too
much personal information, cyber-bullying, exposure to vulgar language,
sites promoting inappropriate behavior, and malware.
- Internet Matters
– A resource site that provides practical suggestions about how to take
preventative measures, advice about specific issues such as
- Platform for Good
– A nonprofit organization which enables teens, parents and educators
to connect, teaching digital citizenship skills so that kids make safe,
smart choices online.
- Connect Safely
– A resource for parents, teens, educators, advocates, policy makers
who are engaged in and interested in the impact of the social web.
- Screenagers – An award-winning film that brings to light the technological culture that impacts our children today.
- 4 Easy Tips ot Keep your Kids Safe Online – An article by verizon that provides tips that parents can use to keep their kids safe while they’re using the internet.
- Social Media Safety Guide for Parents – An article by Maryville University that gives a comprehensive guide to online safety for kids.
YOUTH AT A RISK
- At-Risk Youth Programs – A comprehensive online resource for anything you need to know about at-risk youth.
- Redcliff Ascent – A therapeutic wilderness program for troubled teens ages 13–17.
- National Hopeline Netowrk – A 24/7 crisis calling hotline for teens in crisis (877-968-8454 / for Spanish speaking call 800-784-2432).
- Covenant House Nine-line – A free and confidential hotline to talk about anything with a counselor. Call 800-999-9999
- Alcoholics Anonymous
– AA is an international fellowship of men and women who have had a
drinking problem. It is nonprofessional, self-supporting, multiracial,
apolitical, and available almost everywhere. There are no age or
education requirements. Membership is open to anyone who wants to do
something about his or her drinking problem.
- Crisis Prevention Institute – A resource for organizations that serve society’s most vulnerable.
- Diocese of Wilmington Pastoral Cross – A powerful tool to help young people cope by helping them focus on their loss and/or the disruption in their lives.
- Dealing with Tragedy (St. Mary’s Press) – Search results for tragedy in Saint Mary’s Press database.
- When Tragedy Challenges Faith (St. Mary’s Press) – This short article adapted from Understanding Catholic Christianity provides both a “head” and a “heart” response to the question: Why does God allow bad things to happen?
- St. John Paul II’s letter on The Salvific Meaning of Suffering – An Apostolic Letter by St. John Paul on Suffering
- Responding to the Death of a Teen (Life Teen) – A helpful article to respond to the sensitive topic of the death of a teen
- Tips for Supporting Grieving Youth – A list of suggestions gathered from the hundreds of teens who have attended grief support groups
- Supporting Children and Teens after a Suicide Death – A list of tips for talking with children and teens about a suicide death and ways to support them in their grief
- Prayer Service for Families Coping with a Natural Disaster– a short prayer from Saint Mary’s Press.
- Natural Disaster Resources – search results for natural disaster resources on the Catholic Relief Service (CRS) website.
- Why Does God Allow Natural Disasters to Happen? – an article on the causes for natural disasters for the youth by Life Teen
- Fr. Barron on God, the Tsunami, and The Problem of Evil – a video by Bishop Barron on Saint Mary’s Press website.
- Education for Justice, Natural Disasters – a list of resources by the Center of Concern.
- Catholic Legal Immigration Network –
CLINIC promotes the dignity and protects the rights of immigrants in
partnership with a dedicated network of Catholic and community legal
- Immigration and Refugee Services
– A Catholic Charities website that affirms the inherent dignity
bestowed by God on every human person, including immigrants and
refugees, no matter the circumstances that compel a person to begin a
new life in our community.
- Discover Your Neighbor
– This website by Maryknoll provides material to engage youth with a
culture of Missionary Discipleship. Four free Educator Guides are
published each year, following the liturgical calendar with themes from
Pope Francis. Each guide uses the See-Judge-Act methadology and has four
step-by-step sub-sections to help guide you.
- Resources from St. Mary’s Press – Search results for ‘sexuality’ from the St. Mary’s Press database
- Chastity Project – An organization that provides resources to launch chastity projects within schools and churches to promote the good news of purity
- Jason Evert Youtube Channel – Lectures and videos on sexuality
Ascension Presents Videos
- Avoiding Impurity (Fr. Mike Schmitz)
- How to Quit Porn (Fr. Mike Schmitz)
- Theology of the Body (Fr. Mike Scmitz)
- How to Talk to Your Kids about Porn (Matt Fradd)
- How to Talk to Your Kids about Porn pt. 2 (Matt Fradd)
- My House Columbus Catholic Sexual Integrity Initiative
– A non-profit lay apostolate working to promote sexual integrity
through pornography prevention family protection, theology of the body
information and resources, and accountability and healing networks.
- Always Our Children: A Pastoral Message to Parents of Homosexual Children and Suggestions for Pastoral Ministers from the USCCB
– A pastoral message to reach out to parents trying to cope with the
discovery of homosexuality in their adolescent or adult child.
- Courage – A network of men and women who experience same-sex attractions and who have made a commitment to strive for chastity.
- Addressing LGBT Issues with Youth – A Resource for Educators by the Marianists Social Justice Collaborative
YOUTH WITH DISABILITIES
- National Catholic Partnership on Disability
– An organization who works collaboratively to ensure meaningful
participation of people with disabilities in all aspects of the life of
the Church and society.
- National Catholic Office for the Deaf
– An organization dedicated to spreading God’s message through the
support of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Pastoral Ministry so that we may
all be one in Christ
- Ten Things Your Student With Autism Wishes You Knew (Life Teen) – A helpful list to approach students with Autism
- Practical Tips for Ministering to Teens on the Autism Spectrum (Life Teen) – Tips and tricks to minister teens with Autism
- American Association of the Deaf-Blind – A national consumer organization of, by, and for deaf-blind Americans and their supporters.
- American Association on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities
– An organization that promotes progressive policies, sound research,
effective practices, and universal human rights for people with
intellectual and developmental disabilities.
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association – The national professional, scientific, and credentialing association for 198,000 members and affiliates who are audiologists
- Autism Society of America
– An organization that provides advocacy, education, information and
referral, support, and community at national, state and local levels
through our strong nationwide network of Affiliates.
- Autism Speaks
– An organization dedicated to promoting solutions, across the spectrum
and throughout the life span, for the needs of individuals with autism
and their families through advocacy and support
- Children and Adults with Attention Deficit Disorder – A membership organization that produces the bi-monthly Attention magazine (for members), and sponsors an annual conference
- National Association for Down Syndrome
– An organization who’s mission is to have those with down syndrome to
be accepted by their families and communities, to develop their
capabilities, and to work towards independence
- Disability.gov – a page of resources for disabilities by the department of labor
- U.S. Department of Justice ADA – A website dedicated to the Americans with Disabilities Act
HOMELESSNESS/LIVING ON THE STREETS
- National Alliance to End Homelessness – A nonpartisan organization committed to preventing and ending homelessness in the United States
- National Coalition for the Homeless – A basic fact sheet on homelessness developed by the National Coalition for the Homeless
- Covenant House – An organization that provides housing and supportive services to youth facing homelessness.
- National Runaway Safeline – A national runaway and homeless 24/7 youth crisis hotline and online service in the United States. 1-800-RUNAWAY (txt: 66008)
- Boys Town –
An organization dedicated to changing the way America cares for
children, families, and communities by providing and promoting an
Integrated Continuum of Care that instills Boys Town values to
strengthen body, mind, and spirit. 24/7 hotline 800-448-3000
- Catholic Charities USA
– An organization that provides service to people in need, to advocate
for justice in social structures, and to call the entire church and
people of good will to do the same
- Human Trafficking USCCB – A helpful page by the USCCB that includes facts, resources, and information
- Polaris Project – An organization in the global fight to eradicate modern slavery with the hotline 1 (888) 373-7888
- Rescue and Restore Campaign from the Office on Trafficking Persons –
A campaign to increase the identification of trafficking victims in the
United States and to help those victims receive the benefits and
services they need to restore their lives
- The Alabaster Gift –
An organization committed to nurturing women who are currently and/or
who have previously been involved in sexual and labor exploitation
- Combating Human Trafficking
(Salvation Army) – A section of the Salvation Army that serves to
identify, rescue, and restore victims of forced labor and sexual