Strong Catholic FamiliesWe're committed to advancing the field of pastoral ministry to young people.
What is the Strong Catholic Families National Initiative?
A collaborative effort by four national Catholic organizations to help church leaders envision how the Catholic Church can more effectively partner with parents to help bring home the faith. Developed by NFCYM in 2005, the Strong Catholic Families National Initiative is presented in partnership with the National Conference for Catechetical Leadership (NCCL), the National Association of Catholic Family Life Ministers (NACFLM) and the National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA) who together offer a series of diocesan and parish level trainings, presentations, online and print resources and Catholic Parent Revivals. Spanish language trainings (Fortaleciendo Familias en la Fe) and presentations are also available.
The Strong Catholic Families resources, events and training options are designed to:
- Motivate and engage parents to embrace their responsibility for the faith development of their children and grow the domestic church of the home.
- Motivate and engage parishes/schools to accompany, support and equip parents and families in passing the faith to their children.
Training Events and Resources
The Latest Training Revision is Now Available!
Our trainings are uniquely designed for either diocesan or parish levels events and include the following options and models below…
Diocesan Level Training – utilize a training-of-the-trainers model to help diocesan and parish leaders take ownership of a four-step process designed to lead parishes and schools into a closer partnership with parents to help deepen and animate faith within families. A typical two-day, three session training unfolds as follows:
- Session 1: A two-hour parent session which models for parish/school leaders how to engage and partner with parents in the lifelong process of faith formation.
- Session 2: A morning (three-hour) training in-service for all interested diocesan/parish/school leaders outlining the what and why of partnering with parents to bring home the faith.
- Session 3: An afternoon (three-hour) Orientation for Presenters to prepare local presenters and the diocesan team to work with parish/school staffs in using the Strong Catholic Family process and materials in local parishes/schools within the diocese.
- NOTE: a one-day model is also available with Parent Session 9:00-11:00 am, Parish/School Leader Session 11:00 am-2:00 p.m. (including lunch), and concluding with a Training of Presenters Session from 2:00-5:00 p.m.
“Take 2” Refresh Training – This discounted training is only available to a diocese that has previously hosted the Diocesan Level Training listed above (in either Spanish or English). The Take 2 training includes all three sessions with emphasis on preparing the diocesan implementation team. This training is often done after a leadership change or to “kick start” the initiative after a resource revision.
Fortaleciendo Familias en la Fe – The Spanish version of the Strong Catholic Families training described above and adapted to speak to the realities and issues of Hispanic parents and the leaders who minister to and with them.
Clergy/Pastoral Leader Presentations – Engaging two or three hour presentations offered specifically for pastoral leaders in how to effectively accompany and engage parents and families in the transmission of faith.
Local Parish/School Start Up Events – a one-day Strong Catholic Families training done onsite at a local parish/school designed to help initiate the process within the local faith community.
Catholic Parent Revivals – a moving and prayerful three hour revival to affirm, support and motivate parents/grandparents in their vocation and as leaders of their domestic church.
Cultivating a Home Grown Faith – a six hour in-service for church leaders providing a blueprint in building a vital partnership between the domestic and universal Church. Also available in Spanish.
Resource Books and Prayer Cards – Family Faith Resource Booklets for parents, Guides for Church Leaders and Table Tent Prayer Cards (English or Spanish versions) can be ordered individually or in bulk from the NFCYM online store.
Resources – A host of online and downloadable information, activities and videos for use with parents and families
Strong Catholic Families Facebook Page – Daily posts of helpful information, articles, research and inspiring stories for parents and the ministry leaders who partner with them.
Preview Some Strong Catholic Family Resources